Katona József National Theatre of Kecskemét
The Neo-Baroque, Eclectic building of the theatre was built for the Millennium of the country in 1896. It was named after the author of the first Hungarian national drama - the son of Kecskemét - József Katona, whose bust can be seen in the facade of the building. The resemblance to the Vígszínház (Comedy Theatre) in Budapest is not coincidental, they were both built by the plans of the famous Vienna architects, Helmer and Fellner. Its ornamental design reminding of a jewel box is especially spectacular in the evening. Many famous movies were filmed in the theatre such as the Oscar winner “Mephisto”, “The Phantom of the Opera”, “Being Julia” or most recently “Colette”. In front of the theatre the Column of the Holy Trinity reminds us of the epidemic of Black Death that took a heavy toll on the population. The statue made of sandstone in 1742 is decorated with the figures of Saint Sebastian, Saint Roch, Saint Elisabeth and Saint Steven of the House of Árpád.
The theatre can be visited by appointment.
6000 Kecskemét Katona József tér 5. Route planner